What is smelly breath?
Smelly breath is caused by the build-up of smelly bacteria in the mouth. Severe smelly breath is unpleasant and embarrassing but it can also be a symptom of a serious dental care issue.
If you notice that even with a good dental care routine, you have smelly breath speak to our dentist, she will recommend an appropriate treatment.
Smelly breath can also occur if you suffer from a dry mouth. Saliva helps to clean and moisturise the mouth. That’s why you get morning breath (the salivary gland is less active as you sleep). Bad breath can also be caused by some medications you could be taking.
However, bad breath is also a sign of bad oral care. A build-up of plaque on your teeth causes bleeding gums and bad breath.
How to prevent smelly breath
- Drink lots of water to keep your mouth moist and clean
- Chew sugar-free gum after eating, this creates saliva to cleanse the mouth
- Some foods can cause bad breath- learn which ones trigger smelly breath in you,
- If you smoke, stop!
Curing bad breath
Brush. Floss. Rinse! The best cure is a proper brushing routine.
- Brush your teeth for 2 minutes a day, morning and night
- Try brushing the back of your tongue to remove bacteria
- Floss to remove food stuck between teeth
- Use a good mouthwash to kill excess bacteria
- Drink lots of water
But even with a good dental cleaning routine, plaque can still build up on your teeth, causing smelly breath and gum disease. Regular cleaning from your Plaza Health dentist will ensure that plaque is removed and bad breath cured.
Let’s talk we can help address Smelly Breath
Ready to take the next step? Our Dentists at Plaza Health in Dublin are here to help.
Book a consultation today.
You can book online or give us a call on 01 444 0709